Why You Need To Be Doing Speaking Gigs as an Author
Updated: Mar 5
Want to get more speaking gigs, but aren't sure how? Regardless of whether your appearance is free or paid, use it as an opportunity to spread the word about you and/or your brand to show viewers/attendees just how you can help them.
1. Your audience is already there. From virtual to in person events (if you're cool with Mrs. Rona and her extended stay) your ideal audience is likely already attending. It's up to you to make sure the audience fits the market you're trying to pinpoint for your book, so be sure to pick ones that fit your book to a T.
2. Speaking positions you as an authority in your niche. Once you've spoken or appeared on podcasts or stages, your cred and authority in the field you've spoken about increases. Speaking increases the pull you have when being the non featured guest, because folks know you've previously shared helpful/relevant information.
3. You can repurpose the content later. Reuse the flyer, audio snips from your recording, or the video to let your audience interact with you in a new way. (Of course ask person from the host before doing so.)
4. You don't have to do it alone! Appearing on a panel of others in your field or niche uplifts your overall appeal since you're features with other folks who know what they're talking about as well.
5. It doesn't have to just be on stages. Podcasts, panels, virtual summits, Facebook & IG Lives, workshops, etc all count as speaking gigs.